Destination: Italy: Rome
The tridente, or trident, formed by Via del Corso, Via di Ripetta and Via del Babuino, as well as the cross streets, most notably the Via de Condotti, has some of the best shopping in Rome. Here, all of Italy’s top designers are represented—Gucci, Prada, Bottega Veneta, Armani, Fendi, Max Mara and Ferragamo—as well as jewelry houses like Buccellati and Bulgari. But one cannot live by labels alone, and it pays to head off down alleyways and discover where real Romans shop.
For unique boutiques, Romans head to Monti, a small neighborhood tucked between Via Cavour and Via Nazionale. The center is Piazza Madonna dei Monti, where the newly opened B (Piazza Madonna dei Monti 1) sells clothes by a variety of European designers. Both Via Boschetto and Via degli Zingari are off the Piazza and are full of fun, quirky shops.
But as much as Italians like great style, they have not bought into the 24/7 shopping mind-set of Americans. It’s common for stores to close for an afternoon siesta, usually from 1 to 3 p.m.; and many are closed Sunday (though a few are open in the afternoon), and most do not reopen until 3 or 3:30 p.m. on Monday. And many shops are closed for at least two weeks in August.
Search By Keyword
This island has unspoiled coral reefs and protected lagoons so...
The country's most stunning landscapes and exhilarating outdoor activities center...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.