Destination: Italy: Capri
As in many European resort towns, there’s an established ritual to dining on Capri. It starts as soon as the last day-trippers head back to the mainland, when locals and visitors based on Capri emerge from hiding. Evenings kick off with people watching over an aperitif at one of the outdoor bars in the piazzetta, like Al Piccolo, and continues with a late dinner, which is followed by drinks, dancing and serious partying. If you make a reservation for dinner before 9 P.M.—and during the high season, be sure to have a reservation—chances are you’ll be sitting in an empty restaurant. Many places shutter between November and April; there’s no official reopening date—this is Italy, after all—but after Easter you can generally count on the main restaurants’ being open.
TIP: Especially at the smaller family-run restaurants, ask about the daily specialties instead of ordering à la carte. Many of the menus are extensive, but the best and freshest choices are the pastas and the seafood prepared that day. Also, as quaint as the idea of vino da tavola sounds, if you’re an aficionado, ask to see the wine list. House wines tend to be light affairs, and considering you’re in the Campania region, you can find fantastic local wines that are still decently priced.
Search By Keyword
Known as the Blue City for its cobalt-painted facades, Jodhpur...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.