Destination: Italy: Capri
If you want to escape the tourist crowds that dine in town at the easily reachable restaurants, head to Da Tonino, a local favorite that’s off the beaten path enough to guarantee that you’ll hear mostly Italian spoken in the dining room. It’s a fifteen-minute walk on the steep streets leading from the piazzetta, but the homemade pastas and fresh, no-frills seafood dishes, as well as a surprisingly complex wine list, are worth the climb. Da Tonino is also a good option for lunch if you’re en route to see the Villa Jovis or Arco Naturale. Closed Monday.
Finding an exceptional, low-key trattoria in Anacapri is trickier than in Capri, where places like Da Gemma, Aurora and Da Tonino keep visitors and locals well fed. Several people, including Bartolo Giusto of Tour Italy, recommended Cucciolo: “The restaurant is not easy to find, but the cuisine is freshly prepared and delicious.” There’s a free shuttle from Anacapri’s central Piazza Vittoria and reservations are essential.
Search By Keyword
This island has unspoiled coral reefs and protected lagoons so...
The country's most stunning landscapes and exhilarating outdoor activities center...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.