Casa del Caballo Blanco
For those who want to combine their vacation time with wildlife volunteering, the Casa del Caballo Blanco (House of the White Horse) now offers an innovative voluntourism program. The family-run lodge in the Mopán river region, not far from the Guatemalan border, operates a bird sanctuary, known as CASA (Casa Avian Support Alliance), whose work has been endorsed by the Rainforest Alliance. Rescued birds, including rare parrots and toucans, receive vet treatment and are released into a twenty-three-acre bird sanctuary or remain on the grounds in protected “retirement” sections if they cannot fend for themselves in the wild. The Toucan Tour program combines work at the bird sanctuary (from trail and habitat restoration to bird feeding and assisting biologists) with activities such as horseback riding, a trip to Tikal in Guatemala and a tubing trip in caves on the Caves Branch River. Rooms from $105 per night and from $815 for their five-day Toucan Tour.
Search By Keyword
Travelers seek out the privately owned Lanai, nine miles west...
Preserved by ancient fortifications and years of neglect, Cartagena is...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.