Barbados, the most easterly Caribbean island, is only twenty-one miles long and fourteen miles wide. Yet a coast-to-coast drive reveals a montage of landscapes, which have their own distinct vibes, personalities and crowds. The west coast—also known as the “Platinum Coast”—faces the calm waters of the Caribbean Sea and is the Barbados most people have heard of: polo grounds; old-money estates; posh, pricey hotels and their equally posh, occasionally famous, guests. The glamour apex is reached along St. James’s Millionaire Mile in Holetown, where you’ll find Sandy Lane hotel, a number of lavish, closed-off estates and the highest concentration of high-end restaurants, like Daphne’s and the Cliff.
Those who don’t care much for the scene, along with surfers and anyone just looking to tune out, head to the more rugged east coast, which many locals refer to simply as “the country.” The beaches, fronting the rougher Atlantic waters, are wider, prettier and much less crowded. The northeast coast, part of the island’s Little Scotland district, is perhaps the most beautiful—at least in a raw, wild sort of way—with its dramatic...
Search By Keyword
A French island with Italian flair, Corsica beguiles with dazzling...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.