Vibe: Modern, value, central
At a Glance: In the land of conservative, understated hotels, this St. James property evokes a bit of South Beach sexiness.
Review: The thirty-four suites at The House have a minimalist design scheme, and the open-air living area, complete with a twenty-four-hour bar, has the vibe of a chic, laid-back urban lounge. Arrivals are meant to be slightly dramatic: the property is separated from the road by an arched stone gate, and cars must pass over a little wooden bridge to reach the entrance (at nighttime the walkway is also lit by torches). All rooms surround a central garden area, though the nicest, priciest ones overlook the Caribbean. While rooms attempt a contemporary style, a recent visit proved that they fall short with regards to both cleanliness and details.
The real concern here, however, is the service. There is no reception area and staff leaves much to be desired; this is most definitely a property best suited to those who do not need or want any help. No children under eighteen are permitted, and the crowd tends to be on the younger side. Despite the departure from the traditional Anglo model, there is still a daily (and complimentary) tea service from four to five. Water sports are available at the nearby Tamarind Cove hotel, and there’s a daily, complimentary Champagne breakfast.
Search By Keyword
Known as the Blue City for its cobalt-painted facades, Jodhpur...
Berlin is one of Europe's most fascinating, stimulating and underrated...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.