In the land of conservative, understated hotels, this seven-year-old St. James property evokes a bit of South Beach sexiness. The thirty-four suites have a minimalist navy-and-white design scheme, and the open-air living area, complete with a twenty-four-hour bar, has the vibe of a chic, laid-back urban lounge. Arrivals are meant to be slightly dramatic: the property is separated from the road by an arched stone gate, and cars must pass over a little wooden bridge to reach the entrance (at nighttime the walkway is also lit by torches). All rooms surround a central garden area, though the nicest, priciest ones are in the back (they also overlook the Caribbean). No children under eighteen are permitted, and the crowd tends to be on the younger side (the guests’ average age ranges from the late twenties to the early forties) and less British than those at other, similarly priced hotels. Despite the departure from the traditional Anglo model, there is still a daily (and complimentary) tea service from four to five, and each guest has two personal butlers, or “ambassadors”—they wear trendy, pajama-like uniforms, though, rather than standard butler garb. Water sports are available at the nearby Tamarind Cove hotel, and there’s a daily, complimentary Champagne breakfast. Rooms from $668.
WHO SHOULD GO: Scenesters, Girlfriends on Getaways
Search By Keyword
An outrageous shape-shifter, Myanmar is finally emerging from its troubled...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.