Destination: Martha's Vineyard
The Vineyard’s only Relais & Châteaux property is on a quiet street near the center of Edgartown. Guests stay in twenty-five rooms furnished with French and English antiques and reproductions. The downstairs drawing rooms, with leather armchairs, chandeliers and oil paintings, exude a prim Edwardian air. It may be more formal than some of the other inns on the island (several people used the word precious), but the Charlotte has a sense of humor, too: at the door, guests are greeted by Ozzie, a golden retriever wearing a tiny blue-and-white-striped tie. Rooms from $295.
Indagare Plus Benefit For details on the special Indagare member benefits at this property, email us or call 212-988-2611.
With its cheerful interiors featuring mismatched furniture, pastel-colored wallpapers and cozy sitting nooks, the Hob Knob has a warm New England flavor. Each of the seventeen rooms is decorated uniquely, with furnishings found at antiques fairs and flea markets. I didn’t stay here, but next time I would book Room 14, on the third floor, which has a pink-and-yellow color scheme and a skylight. One person’s drawback—the inn is on busy Main Street—is another’s delight: with the Hob Knob as your base, you’ll be able to navigate all of Edgartown’s shops on foot. Rooms from $325.
For additional photos and to see the image above larger, click on it.
Search By Keyword
As a winter destination, comparisons to other North American ski...
The largest single-mountain ski resort in North America is better...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.