Destination: Martha's Vineyard
Inn at Blueberry Hill
UPDATE: The Inn at Blueberry Hill will not open the summer of 2009, and the future of the resort is unclear. Read an article about the reasons behind the shuttering of this beloved Chilmark hotel in the Martha’s Vineyard Times (www.www.mvtimes.com).
It’s easy to miss the small sign that indicates the dirt road that leads to the Inn at Blueberry Hill, a retreat on fifty-six acres in Chilmark. Bordered by 2,000 acres of conservation land, the setting is remote (don’t stay here if you want to spend a lot of time shopping and dining in Edgartown, et al.), but couples looking to trade the summer crowds for country seclusion will be very happy. Guests stay in twenty-five rooms in the cedar-shingled main house and three freestanding cottages (which can also be rented as a whole). The white-and-blue interiors are simple but attractive, with high ceilings, wicker furniture, hardwood floors and ceiling fans. Most come with small terraces and patios facing the pretty gardens. There are tennis courts and a pool on the property, and Theo’s restaurant, which is open to nonguests to well, comes highly recommended. Best of all: Blueberry Hill guests have access to two of the Vineyard’s most beautiful private beaches: Lucy Vincent and Squibnocket (the hotel provides daily shuttle service). Rooms from $266.
For additional photos and to see the image above larger, click on it.
Search By Keyword
The gateway to southeastern Asia, Singapore has a lot to...
Preserved by ancient fortifications and years of neglect, Cartagena is...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.