Destination: Martha's Vineyard
Martha’s Vineyard has attracted artists, artisans and writers since the 1960s and ’70s, and today there’s a vibrant cultural scene to be discovered. A great introduction, suggests Tamara Weiss, the owner of Midnight Farm boutique, is making appointments at the studios of famed local painters Allen Whiting and Doug Kent. Or you can visit the Aquinnah Cultural Center, which opened in a restored 19th-century farmhouse on the western cliffs in 2007. If you go in August, you can catch a special performance by some of American Ballet Theatre’s premier dancers. And those who want to take some Vineyard culture home can commission a piece of Wampum jewelry by artist Joanie Lelacheur, who has been turning delicate quahog shells into whimsical pieces for more than thirty years.
Search By Keyword
The Cape Winelands have always had remarkable wines; now the...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.