Destination: Sweden: Stockholm
The Swedish capital beautifully balances past and present, with historic palaces and grand hotels co-exisiting with cool design shops, cutting-edge restaurants and hot spot bars and lounges.
Also in this report: The city’s best hotels under Where to Stay, authentic restaurants under Where to Eat, sights not to miss under What to See & Do, a guide to the shopping scene under Where to Shop.
INDAGARE TOP TEN:
SLEEP…in the boutique Lydmar hotel, decorated with the owner’s private art collection
EXPERIENCE…innovative Swedish food at Lisa Elmqvist
SPLURGE…on a room with a view at the Grand Hôtel Stockholm, in a sublime harborside location
EAT…local delicacies at institution Sturehof
DRINK…with the city’s beautiful people at hot spot Le Bar Rouge
SAVOR…the scene at the hippie-chic bar at the Story Hotel
VISIT…the Drottningholm Palace, a so-called mini-Versailles outside the city
SEE… one of the finest examples of European Neo-Classicism at Gustav III’s Pavilion
SHOP…at renowned Svenskt Tenn for classic Swedish and Danish design and textiles.
KNOW…more about Swedich architecture and history after taking a walking tour of Skansen, a collection of historic manor houses set in lovely gardens
Search By Keyword
As a winter destination, comparisons to other North American ski...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.