Destination: Sweden: Stockholm
Here are suggestions for a long weekend.
Start at the National Museum, then walk over to the nearby Royal Palace. There, visit Gustav III’s Museum of Antiquities, two light-filled rooms with more than 200 sculptures. Around noon, you may see soldiers marching to the courtyard for the daily changing of the guard; it’s touristy but compelling. Wander around Gamla Stan (“Old Town”), then take a taxi to Lisa Elmqvist for lunch. Spend the afternoon ambling through the Östermalm neighborhood, and stop at NK department store. If you have two or three hours, catch the ferry to Vaxholm. Finish your day with dinner at Fredsgatan 12.
Take the steamer from City Hall to Drottningholm Palace. Tour the palace and gardens, then have lunch at the café on the grounds. Enjoy a performance at the opera house. Have dinner on the ferry as it makes its way back to the city.
Visit the historic houses in the park at Skansen, an open-air museum and zoo on the island of Djurgården. Reserve lunch at Wedholms Fisk. Book a car to visit Gustav III’s Pavilion (also called the Haga Pavilion) in beautiful Haga Park, about thirty minutes from downtown. (Check times for guided tours in English.) Return to the city, and continue exploring Gamla Stan. Have dinner at Operakällaren, and finish your evening with drinks at the Opera Bar.
Search By Keyword
With views of the Swiss Alps and Lake Geneva, Lausanne...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.