Destination: Spain: Mallorca
Run by British expats, Balearic Discovery has the lead on some of the island’s best villas. They can also arrange a myriad of activities for guests, ranging from spectacular hikes to remote monasteries, yacht charters to hidden coves and anything else a demanding traveler would want.
Read the insider report on Mallorca from Balearic Discovery’s managing director, Jane Stanbury.
Many of the villas available on Mallorca are rustic finca properties without many modern perks. The stylish Ca’s Penelope is one of the rare exceptions: a four-bedroom house (perfect for a group of six to eight friends) with an unusual mix of historic and modern design. The house was built by a well-known Belgian photographer using materials like black marble, polished concrete and natural river stones to create clean and contemporary interiors. Owner Jennifer Whiffen’s arty touches, like silk lampshades and purple velvet cushions, add whimsy throughout the house. The modern kitchen and satellite television with a DVD/video library are also welcome perks. Rates from $5,106 per week.
The rustic-chic La Paloga villa, about two miles from Pollença, features big windows, lots of terrace space, a tennis court and a gated, mosaic-ed pool. The hacienda-style architecture showcases a central tower that contains two master-bedroom suites, both with fantastic views. Managed by the U.K.-based Coastline Villas, La Paloga’s rate can only be given over the phone, since it includes airfare as well as maid service, daily bread deliveries and car rental.
Search By Keyword
Long a bastion of understated cool, the Danish capital is...
With miles of biking, walking and riding trails, scores of...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.