Destination: France: Iles d’Hyères
Porquerolles is only about four and a half miles long and a little over a mile wide, but there are plenty of possibilities for exploring: you can snorkel in clear-topaz shallows shaded by windswept parasol pines, dine in style at such restaurants as L’Olivier and drink the superb island-grown wines (don’t miss France’s only underwater wine cellar). But you should also make time to hike the botanical trails lined with green oaks and olive trees, roam the craggy cliffs or pack up a picnic and bump along the dusty paths on rented bicycles, which come with children’s seats and convenient metal kiddie cars to tow your family around.
Port-Cros is equally enchanting, but compared with the low-key but lively café scene in Porquerolles it may seem more austere and isolated. If you’re looking for a place to leave behind your ordinary routine, I can’t think of a better destination.
Search By Keyword
This island has unspoiled coral reefs and protected lagoons so...
The country's most stunning landscapes and exhilarating outdoor activities center...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.