Destination: India: Jaipur
Rambagh Palace Hotel
Tempted to sleep in a maharani’s bedroom or walk in a maharaja’s garden? It’s possible at this historic luxury hotel, which for many years was the residence of Jaipur’s fabled rulers. In the 1950s, the current maharaja and maharani (who still live nearby) decided to open it as a hotel, and invited their stylish friends from around the world. Jackie Kennedy, Queen Elizabeth and lords and ladies of the British Raj all visited in the days when the maharani was one of the world’s great beauties and the maharaja was a champion polo player. The hotel, which mixes Moghul and Rajput designs, features intricately carved pillars, flamboyant domes and cupolas and authentic colonial furnishings, and is surrounded by forty-seven acres of gardens.
A suite overlooking the garden, where peacocks preen and strut in the early morning, revives royal glamour in high style. There are two pools (one indoors and one out), and spa in the garden. The concierge can arrange many activities, including golf, polo and yoga classes, and cultural excursions. Rooms from $460.
Search By Keyword
Chiang Mai means “a million rice field kingdom,” and those...
The mountainous island in the West Indies is transforming into...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.