Destination: India: Jaipur
For Ten Tips on Travel to India, including Cuisine Counsel, click here.
An Ideal Day
To begin exploring the architectural trove of Jaipur, visitors may want to start the day at the City Palace (home of the current maharajah and his family) or the Amber Fort. Then spend some time relishing the pageantry of Jaipur’s bazaars, followed by a light lunch at the Rambagh Palace Hotel on a gleaming marble terrace overlooking cool lawns and an Indian version of an English garden; don’t miss the hotel’s bookstore for exquisite books on Indian jewels and costumes. Next, ask your driver to assist in the hunt for $10 silver sandals, gilt-edged silks and $10 cotton tunics in the cacophony of Johari Bazaar. Late afternoon is the ideal time to shop in the the C-Scheme neighborhood, where you’ll be offered a cup of spiced tea or a glass of chilled filtered water to revive yourself in the heat. Once you’ve been draped in jewels and silks, you’ll understand the allure of Jaipur and its seductive beauty. Just about all who come here leave reluctantly—and plan to return for more magic.
Search By Keyword
A memorable sidestep to lesser-known cities: Gwailor and Orchha (near...
Few places on earth are as dramatic in appearance as...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.