Destination: St. Lucia
St. Lucia’s thick, seemingly impenetrable rain forest, covering 19,000 acres of the island’s interior, can be explored on foot through a variety of hikes, from easier hour-long walks to strenuous, multi-hour treks through machete-cleared paths. The moderately difficult two-mile Enbas Saut hike snakes through scenic terrain at the foot of Mount Gimie, St. Lucia’s highest peak. It’s recommended that you have a guide accompany you on any level trek. Your concierge can help with the arrangements, or call the Forest and Lands Department at 758-450-2231.
Gros Piton, measuring 2,283 feet, can be climbed by active types who are in good shape (the second half of the two- to four-hour trek is arduous). The trail begins in the village of Fond Gens Libre, south of Soufrière, where you’re teamed with a guide at the visitors’ center. Try to start out early in the morning to avoid hiking in steamy temperatures. Bring lots of water, sunscreen and bug repellent. The concierge at most hotels can organize a guide, or contact the Forest and Lands Department at 758-450-2231.
Search By Keyword
Preserved by ancient fortifications and years of neglect, Cartagena is...
Known as the Blue City for its cobalt-painted facades, Jodhpur...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.