Destination: St. Lucia
Eudovic’s Art Studio
Artist Vincent Joseph Eudovic has his studio and gallery at Morne Fortune, off the beaten track in the hills of Castries, but it’s absolutely worth a visit for anyone interested in wood carving. Eudovic studied under Ricardo Vicente in Trinidad before traveling to Africa on a UNESCO scholarship to learn about local carving techniques. Considered one of the Caribbean’s most gifted wood artists, he primarily uses mahogany, teak and red and white cedar. My favorite large pieces, however, are made of laurier canelle roots, abstract works whose smooth spheres reminded me of Henry Moore’s flowing lines. To fully appreciate the artisanship and vision that go into these pieces, ask Eudovic, who is usually on the premises, to show you the sturdy, amorphous roots he starts with. You can find the artist’s small handmade objects at the studio’s shop, but don’t miss the gallery’s beautiful larger works. Most of the sculptural pieces start at $400 (but you can try bargaining). Open daily.
The Inner Gallery
This tiny one-room gallery, located in the marina at Marigot Bay, represents St. Lucian and other Caribbean artists, both established and up-and-coming, like painters Arnold Toulon, Virginia Henry and Mosera. Especially for those staying at the Discovery at Marigot Bay stopping off at this gallery is a must. For more affordable island keepsakes, there are prints of some of the works on sale.
Search By Keyword
A fascinating mix of tradition and contemporary life, 1,200-year-old Kyoto...
Family vacation can be equal parts learning and leisure when...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.