Destination: St. Barth's
Given the size of St. Barth’s, the options for dining are staggering. You’ll find gourmet French food worthy of Paris—with prices to match. In fact, many of the chefs are flown in for the season. But even the best restaurants, such as Bonito, On the Rocks and L’Isola, are unpretentious and fun, as popular with locals as with visitors when it comes to celebrating a special occasion. Travelers looking for a less pricey meal can join islanders at neighborhood places like Do Brazil, on Shell Beach; Le Select and Eddy’s, where juicy cheeseburgers and cold beer replace the foie gras and rosé of the more elegant establishments. People here can be heard to say, “You haven’t been to St. Barth’s if you haven’t been to Maya’s,” and they have a point. Although the food is not the island’s best, Maya’s is a classic for a reason, and you must eat there once.
TIP: For early risers, there’s a great breakfast scene on the island. Croissants are baked fresh daily; La Petite Colombe, La Crèperie and Maya’s To Go open early and seduce with the aroma of delicious pastries and coffee. And whether you take a picnic to the beach or on a boat, or reserve at one of the beachfront restaurants, lunch should be lingered over.
Search By Keyword
By South American standards, Ecuador—which is about the size of...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.