Destination: Brazil: Rio de Janeiro
Big cookie-cutter American chain hotels are refreshingly scarce in Rio. European companies in general, and French ones in particular (including the Sofitel/Mercure and serviced flats), are well represented, though most hotels are locally owned and operated. This mix of European sophistication and Brazilian warmth translates to high quality in a distinctly regional atmosphere. Carioca innovation and enthusiastic hospitality usually make up for the sometimes erratic service, especially in the high summer/Carnaval season. Most hotels are located in Copacabana, but with a few noted, and notable, exceptions, you’ll have a much better time staying elsewhere.
Search By Keyword
Beautiful and not overrun with tourists, this island off the...
The Spanish capital is buzzing with revamped hotels, authentic restaurants...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.