Destination: China: Beijing
Top Tables in Beijing
Until a decade ago, Beijing was something of a wasteland for the serious gourmand. The restaurants that reached acceptable international standards of hygiene and service tended to close early. All that has changed in the past ten years, with a slew of hotel fine-dining options, and more and more freestanding restaurants that can hold their own. To experience the city’s most famous product—Peking duck—cooked in the authentic manner in a genuinely local setting means forgoing some of the usual niceties. Is it worth it? You bet. Peking duck, slow cooked over wood, and served in thin pancakes and slavered with plum sauce, is an ambrosial culinary treat. At one place it is possible to get a feel for hutong life and sample real Peking duck. Read tips on where to find the best Peking Duck in Beijing.
Take a good look at the geography before planning any trip out. It is a spread-out city, with crawling traffic, where bar-hopping is not really feasible, except in the Sanlitun district, beloved by foreign students studying Mandarin. Today, there are many Sanlitun dining places that pass international-standard muster, and it is a lively and fun place for a walk, especially on a summer’s evening, enjoying a cold drink at the outdoor tables.
Search By Keyword
Insider picks from Athens and the best island, including Mykonos,...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.