Destination: Deer Valley
Bandits Grill & Bar
This contemporary saloon has lots of booths and long tables that make it a perfect place to feed a family lunch or dinner in Park City. The kids’ menu includes chicken strips, ribs, burgers, mac and cheese and grilled cheese. If you don’t have a reservation, you better show up before 6 p.m. to get a table.
Daly’s Pub & Rec
The underground pub at Montage, Daly’s Pub gives more space to the recreational offerings than it does to dining tables, which is a shame because as fun as it is to play pool or bowl, there is a huge demand for tables at meal times and the food is delicious. Daly’s is named for a historical area mine but the food is modern pub fare, including excellent brick-oven pizzas and one of the best veggie burgers anywhere. Kids love the video arcade, and if you reserve a bowling lane, you can order nachos or a full meal while you play. Open for lunch (come before noon or after 2) and dinner. No reservations accepted.
Empire Canyon Grill
This lodge at Empire Pass functions as a typical ski lodge grill place feeding hungry skiers with hearty burgers and similar fare but three nights a week at dinner time, Empire Canyon Grill is transformed into a restaurant with unusual fireside dining. The lodge’s five fireplaces actually serve as stations for raclette, stews, fricassees and fire-roasted meats such as leg of lamb and venison. There’s also a salad table and dessert fireplace where you find a variety of fondues. Fireside Dining is only offered Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights, 6 to 9 p.m. Reservations, which can be made online or by calling 435-645-6632, are highly recommended. Adults $54 and children $28.
Royal Street Café
This restaurant at the Silver Lake Lodge is one of the best options for lunch or dinner with kids. It’s best to make a reservation in advance, but you can do so online. Don’t miss the royal brownie with malted-milk ice cream.
A horse-drawn sleigh ride up the Park City mountain to a cabin in the woods for a ranch-style dinner, complete with Western country music, sounds a bit corny, but children love it. You meet at the base of Park City Mountain’s Pay Day lift (dress warmly, with hats and mittens for all) and horse-drawn sleighs deliver you to an enormous log cabin, where fires are lit. Dinner is served family-style at long tables, which means it’s most fun if you go with your own big group of friends. Kids are served hot cider or cocoa in tin camping mugs, and the menu is inspired by campfire fare—mesquite grilled chicken, trout and prime rib. You can book 5:30, 6:30 or 7:30 sleigh pickup times; sleigh ride and dinner lasts two to two-and-a-half hours. Flat fee for dinner and ride is $79 for adults and $49 for children ages 3 to 12; kids 2 and under are free.
Search By Keyword
An outrageous shape-shifter, Myanmar is finally emerging from its troubled...
A first-hand account of a philanthropic “reality" trip to Zambia...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.