Destination: France: Provence
When most travelers hear Provence, they think of Peter Mayle country, with rolling lavender fields and quirky locals. And while this bucolic reverie does indeed exist, the vast region offers much more to discover. There are historically important towns, like Avignon and Arles; great wineries that can be toured along the Rhône; and rugged landscapes like the Gorges du Verdon, a paradise for hikers and rock climbers.
Indagare’s Henley Vazquez recently visited eastern Provence, which reaches all the way to the Côte d’Azur (she added a quick jaunt to St. Tropez, an in-depth update will post to Indagare shortly). Based at the Four Seasons Terre Blanche, she found the itinerary an ideal combination of country- and sea-side: “The resort has flown a bit under the American traveler’s radar—it’s an unexpected surprise that could easily become a regular destination for a family trip.”
- Read about two favorite hideaways in western Provence: La Mirande in Avignon and Château de Massillan, in Uchaux
Search By Keyword
While it may lack some of the charm of jetset...
One of the oldest cities in the Netherlands, Maastricht has...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.