Destination: France: Provence
One of France’s most mythical—and beautiful—regions, Provence is located in southeastern France, bordering Italy and Monaco to the east and the Rhône river to the west. It encompasses the inland departments of the Vaucluse, Alpes de Haute Provence and Hautes-Alpes, as well as the Bouches-du-Rhone, the Var, and Alpes Maritimes, all of which front the Mediterranean Sea. The region’s most well-known towns and resorts are Avignon, Aix-en-Provence, Marseille, Nice, Cannes and St. Tropez.
The Provence so aptly described by Peter Mayle in his best-selling books (A Year in Provence, Toujours Provence) centers mostly around the so-called Lubéron area, which encompass parts of the Bouches-du-Rhone and the Vaucluse. Scenic, small French towns like Aix-en-Provence, Salon-de-Provence, Les-Beaux-de-Provence, Moustiers-Sainte-Marie, Orange and Ménèrbes are all within easy driving distance. Lovely, countryside boutique hotels in this region include 28 à Aix, in Aix-en-Provence; Domaine des Andéols, in Apt; foodie haven Auberge la Fenière, in Lourmarin; Le Couvent des Minimes, in Mane; and classics La Bastide de Marie, in Ménèrbes and Hôtel de Crillon le Brave.
Some geographical highlights in the region are Mont Ventoux, the so-called “giant of Provence,” which rises over 6,000 feet in the lush Vaucluse landscapes. If you’re driving through Provence, don’t miss the Gordes de Verdon, a limestone canyon around the Verdon River, that is popular for climbing and hiking.
Search By Keyword
Eco safari camps, recommended outfitters, plus an amazing house rental...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.