The Vail classics are still the Sonnenalp and the Lodge at Vail, although since 2009, Vail has seen four large-scale, high-end lodging options come online. There’s the Solaris and Ritz-Carlton all-residence developments and The Sebastian and Four Seasons Resort hotel-and-residence properties.
Several blocks west of the village’s center, in the Lionshead area of town, the Arrabelle at Vail Square, a Rockresort hotel and residence property, has come on strong since it opened in 2007. It offers a less-stiff update on the Sonnenalp style, with more-modern rooms, a child-friendly vibe and a location that, although it is at the side of the mountain, is practically ski-in/ski-out—something that none of the other top-level lodgings have, except for the Arrabelle’s older Rockresorts sibling, the Lodge at Vail, flush against the main base. (All of Vail’s premier properties have valet outposts at the main base, so even though their guests have to either walk or shuttle 5 or 10 minutes through town to reach the lifts, they never have to carry their skis or boots more than a few yards.) And for those with a value-conscious mind, theres’ the rebuilt Tivoli Lodge, a Vail original, represents a fine hotel option for families and groups of friends and has a great location.
Search By Keyword
Imagine a Grand Canyonesque landscape with clusters of wild, wind-sculpted...
Nashville exudes charm, southern gentility and laid-back ease, bewitching all...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.