Destination: British Virgin Islands
When Christopher Columbus stumbled upon the Virgin Islands in 1493, he only had one thing on his mind: women. He dubbed the archipelago Saint Ursula and the 11,000 Virgins, naming a particularly curvaceous island Virgin Gorda (Fat Virgin). Today, the islands continue to evoke amorous thoughts. Thanks to romantic green peaks, unspoiled beaches and the presence of some of the world’s best resorts, the area is a top choice for couples seeking an escape. Celebrities and tycoons such as Google’s Larry Page have celebrated their marriages here, and well-heeled travelers often head to the British Virgin Islands’ serene shores for a honeymoon or anniversary.
But trysts under a palm tree aren’t the only attraction. The four larger islands of Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Anegada and Jost Van Dyke plus fifty-something smaller cays claim some of the world’s best snorkeling and dive sites. Situated east of Puerto Rico, the territory enjoys balmy, tropical weather and soft trade winds that draw avid sailors, too. The BVIs also have the distinct advantage of being relatively close to home but feeling far away, unscarred by ugly developments that plague other Caribbean isles. Although reaching the resorts can be a lengthy process, their lack of accessibility is what keeps them uncrowded. There are talks of extending the Tortola airport to allow direct commercial flights from the US, though—a change that’s sure to alter the calm pace of island life. Claim your spot in the sand before that happens.
Search By Keyword
Intimate, hip beach hotels line the shore of this former...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.