Destination: Peru: Lima
Until recently, many visitors to Peru never saw more of Lima than its airport. They were not missing anything, given that as recently as a decade ago, residents referred to the city as “Lima la Horrible.” But now that the historic center has been cleaned up, and there is a vibrant restaurant scene, a day in Lima, particularly one spent with an insider who can navigate the highlights, will add immeasurably to one’s understanding of the country.
Also in this report: The city’s best hotels under Where to Stay, top restaurants under Where to Eat, advice on What to See and Do and a list of the best boutiques under Where To Shop. We work with wonderful local guides and operators should you want assistance with a customized trip.
INDAGARE TOP TEN
EXPERIENCE…the cuisine of Gastón Acurio at his original Astrid & Gastón restaurant
EAT…seviche for lunch at Pescados Capitales or La Mer and taste fresh fish as you never have before
DRINK…a pisco sour, which Rudyard Kipling described as “compounded of cherubs’ wings, the glory of tropical dawn, the red clouds of sunset and fragments of lost epics by dead masters”
SAVOR…the view of the Pacific and the white christ fro the terrace at Cala restaurant
VISIT…one of the original conquistador’s houses, Casa Aliaga, where seventeen generations of the family have lived since it was built
SEE…the private collection of more than 45,000 pottery vessels, textiles and gold and silver objects amassed by Rafael Larco Hoyle at the Museo Larco Herrera
KNOW…the historians who can bring the city to life and get you into private houses and collections
Search By Keyword
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.