Destination: France: Belle-Île
Belle-Île, an island off the coast of Brittany, may well be one of France’s best-kept secrets. Its beautiful landscapes have drawn artists for centuries and visitors today seek out the place’s authentic and laid-back atmosphere. “We have a relationship with time that is different from that on the Continent,” says one resident artist. “If you spend two hours or two days doing something, it doesn’t matter.”
In this report: boutique hotels under Where to Stay and authentic restaurants under Where to Eat. Plus, what sights, galleries and shops not to miss under What to See & Do and strategies for Getting There.
INDAGARE CHEAT SHEET
SLEEP…in the stylish rooms of a boutique hotel that’s housed in a restored fort.
EAT…delicious local cuisine in the most authentic spots in Sauzon and Le Palais
SAVOR…such artisanal products as the chocolate at La Palantinen
DRIVE…through the island’s gorgeous landscapes and end up at Les Rochers de Belle-Île that inspired Monet’s eponymous painting
VISIT…some of the many artist’s ateliers that are open to the public
SEE…the Sarah Bernhardt Museum located in La Pointe des Poulains
KNOW…which beaches to visit
Search By Keyword
Now that many of its beloved museums and monuments have...
The Thai island’s more glamorous, more grown-up side is quickly...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.