Destination: Thailand: Chiang Mai
After a few days in the pulsing coming-of-age city of Bangkok, with its constant traffic jams, urban noise and overgrown malls, touching down in Chiang Mai is an instant breath of fresh air. When your plane touches down, the green mountains and lazy afternoon fog is instantly calming. Chiang Mai is Thailand’s northernmost province and second-largest city. Two million people live within its borders, with a small percentage of urban dwellers outnumbered by the rural rice farmers and hill tribes.
INDAGARE TOP TEN
EXPERIENCE…the lush, rice paddy setting of the Four Seasons Chiang Mai
EAT… authentic northern Thai fare at Hong Taew Inn
LIVE…like a local by taking over the whimsically named Howie’s HomeStay, an architectural gem in the middle of Thai jungle
SAVOR…Sunday brunch on a tree-shaded riverside deck at the Chedi
SHOP… the Wat Gate Neighborhood, a bucolic place favored by Thai artisans
TAKE…a detour to Chiang Rai for a few nights and stay at the incredible Four Seasons Tented Camp in the Golden Triangle
COOK…authentic Thai dishes at the Four Seasons’ cooking school
KNOW...that as an Indagare member you can contact our Bookings Team for customized recommendations and itineraries.
Search By Keyword
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.