Destination: Jumby Bay
With its long white beaches, manicured garden paths and a limpid turquoise sea, Jumby Bay, a Rosewood Resort, off Antigua, comes close to being the ideal Caribbean getaway. Similar to Mustique, in St. Vincent and the Grenadines, it is located on a private island that belongs to an association of homeowners, and some of their sumptuous Estate Homes, strung along the coast like precious pearls, can be rented exclusively through Rosewood, the Texas-based hotel group that manages Jumby (as well as hard-to-book Las Ventanas, in Baja, and Santa Barbara’s San Ysidro Ranch, among others). The resort occupies much of the island’s west coast, where a large swimming pool, tennis courts and a beach restaurant and bar are situated.
The setting may be gorgeous, but it’s the easygoing, friendly vibe that sets Jumby Bay apart. This is particularly clear during the weekly cocktail party, hosted by the general manager, where everyone from families to honeymooners mingles. Kids run around the beach, parents meet over rum punch, homeowners share tales of what the island looked like in the 1980s, and everyone watches the sun spill into the sea. There’s an unadulterated joy in the air, a heartfelt sense of appreciation for this special spot—and it’s contagious, transforming newcomers into instant Jumby enthusiasts determined to return.
Search By Keyword
The Thai island’s more glamorous, more grown-up side is quickly...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.