Leading the Way
This Week on Indagare: The latest from Deer Valley, a new hotel adds contemporary cool to Mexico’s San Miguel de Allende, beauty and travel tips from makeup guru Kimara Ahnert, and hanging out with Robert Redford at the Sundance Film Festival. Plus, a special invitation from a new online fashion site whose members shop for styles straight off the runway.
Just Back From…Deer Valley
Indagare founder Melissa Biggs Bradley, who has skied in Deer Valley for two decades, returned from her most recent excursion raving about how the resort town has upped its comfort factor thanks to the opening of two memorable high-end hotels, the Montage Deer Valley and the St. Regis Deer Crest. “These new lodges deliver very spoiling ski breaks—one has a Jean-Georges Vongerichten grill and another a 35,000-square-foot spa—but I don’t believe that they will alter the distinct character of Deer Valley,” she writes. “This is still a place where the real draw is the ease and the skiing, not a flashy crowd or an après-ski scene.” Read about the newcomers, as well as Melissa’s picks for top dining tables.
Indagare Exclusive: Moda Operandi
Think of it as attending the ultimate online trunk show. Indagare members are invited to join fashion’s most exclusive new club—Moda Operandi—whose members can shop for styles straight off the runway. The online luxury retailer was launched by two of New York’s most stylish women (Vogue’s Lauren Santo Domingo and Aslaug Magnusdottir, formerly of Gilt Noir), who sensed a void in the couture scene. Members will have direct access to the complete runway collections from some fifty designers. The site’s first sale—on February 16—coincides with New York Fashion Week and will feature the collections of Alexander Wang, Carolina Herrera, Narciso Rodriguez, Proenza Schouler, Matthew Williamson and Prabal Gurung. Read an interview with the stylish founders and find out how Indagare members can join.
Hotel Debut: San Miguel Newcomer
Blending tradition with the present-day was at the impetus behind Hotel Matilda, San Miguel de Allende’s most stunning new boutique property and one whose contemporary art collection alone is reason enough to stay. Owner Harold Stream named the property after his mother, whose portrait was painted by 21st-century master Diego Riviera in the 1940s (a copy of the massive work is displayed at the property). With stylish rooms, luxe amenities and a groovy vibe—the hotel’s bar is already a hot spot—Matilda is poised to draw a new generation of travelers to San Miguel de Allende. Read a full review and Just Back From San Miguel.
Insider Q&A: Makeup Guru Kimara Ahnert
Kimara Ahnert’s Manhattan studio, on the Upper East Side, has long been a well-kept secret among low-key celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow, Brooke Shields and Amanda Peet. When the makeup expert is not helping her clients look their best, she spends a lot of time traveling, and many of her journeys have inspired new product lines back home. loyal return visitor to Capri, she also counts Paris, Harbour Island and any place with an Aman resort among her favorites. Ahnert shares travel discoveries and beauty tips, including her favorite jeweler, restaurant and spa on Capri, best-loved family getaways and makeup trends for 2011. Read the Q&A.
Search By Keyword
This island nation makes a perfect, beachy conclusion to a...
Home to dozens of unsolved mysteries, the island known as...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.