Leading the Way
In the Know: India
For Westerners, the magic of venturing deep into the remote regions of the Himalayas has long been out of reach for all but the most dedicated trekkers. That’s precisely what Jamshyd Sethna, chairman of Banyan Tours, sought to change when he founded Shakti Himalaya in 2004. “We wanted to give travelers a glimpse of India that was previously unimaginable,” he says. Last year, Shakti unveiled a wilderness retreat like no other: 360º Leti, situated at 8,000 feet on the site of a former tented camp. Also new on Indagare: the best personal shopper in Mumbai. A former interior designer, she knows every stylish nook, from the latest boho boutiques to legendary sari shops and chaotic street markets. And read insider tips on Delhi from Fiona Caulfield and a Q&A about Mt. Everest with Nick Heil, author of the new book Dark Summit: The True Story of Everest’s Most Controversial Season. Coming soon: insider tips on Calcutta and Goa.
Special Access: New Zealand
To get to Moturua, a retreat in the Bay of Islands, you have two choices: go by helicopter or by boat. Perfect for those who place a premium on seclusion, the private island offers gorgeous beaches, a rugged, unspoiled landscape, and a remarkable waterfront home that has won numerous design awards. Christmas is a wonderful time to be in New Zealand and several top lodges, including Kauri Cliffs, still have availability. Contact Indagare for details and suggested itineraries.
In the Know: Dining in London
Just in time for summer, the British capital is seeing a flurry of restaurant openings and re-openings, as talented restaurateurs have taken on some of the city’s most iconic spots—many of them a great value. Read about what’s new.
Indagare Tracker: Summer in the City
Summer is generally viewed as the time to flee the city and head for the coast or into the country, but this season, Olafur Eliason, Zaha Hadid, Richard Serra, Bansky, Dale Chihuly and other major artists may make you think twice about leaving. Indagare Tracker is highlighting eight major outdoor exhibits and performances scheduled for this summer in Paris, London, New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco. The offerings range from man-made waterfalls in New York’s East River and street art in London to a star ballerina’s turn outside Paris and a towering outdoor installation in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park. Read a round-up of the best—and most exciting—reasons to spend some time outdoors in the city this summer.
New on Indagare.com
Two stylish new safari lodges in Tanzania; shopping recommendations from the chic duo behind New York City’s Kirna-Zabête; member postcards on where to stay in Hanoi and tips on visiting Central Vietnam ; spots left on a Sea Cloud journey traveling from Rome to Naples; and a discussion with humanitarian experts, led by CNN journalist Christiane Amanpour, about the worldwide food crisis . Plus: Colin Cowie’s tips on packing, flying and tipping; what to see and do in Amsterdam with teenagers a great family getaway in Puerto Rico and a member postcard on the new beach villas at San Diego’s Hotel Del Coronado.
Search By Keyword
The gateway to southeastern Asia, Singapore has a lot to...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.