Leading the Way
This week: What not to miss in and around London this summer; Cool rooftop lounges around the world; Win a trip for four to the U.S. Virgin Islands, News and updates from South Africa, and St.-Tropez’s most exclusive new resort and villas.
Summer Update: London
One of Indagare’s editors recently returned from London, where she saw a pop-up art installation at Waterloo Station (tickets went to a lucky few via a covert website); came across a culinary transformation on a nondescript street in Soho; and discovered the country hideaway that draws paparazzi-shy celebs like Lily Allen. There’s tons happening in the British capital this summer, including Jude Law starring as Hamlet and an inspired production of Peter Pan underway in the Kensington Park Gardens. (Click here to read a Cultural Calendar.) But you may also be tempted to get out of the city and check into Babington House, owned by Nick Jones, of Soho House-fame), now open to the Indagare community. Part country club, part chic house party, the Somerset enclave is a beautiful place to unwind. Indagare members: contact us or call 212-988-2611 for information on the special privileges you enjoy at Babington. Read Just Back From London.
Indagare Bests: Rooftop Lounges
Celebrating summer in the city is all about finding the right al fresco spaces, whether high in the sky or hidden away in the garden. For this week’s Indagare Bests: Rooftop Lounges, we reached out to contributors and insiders around the world to compile a list of favorite lofty spaces in ten cities. (Coming soon: Great Garden Terraces.) Read our list, including new hot spots in Chicago, New York and Tokyo, as well as local favorites in Madrid, Rome and Istanbul.
Family Quiz: Win a Trip to St. John
Think you’re an expert on the U.S. Virgin Islands? Take Indagare’s fun family quiz about the Caribbean destination and get entered to win a five-night trip for a family of four to St. John, including accommodations and airfare. Take the quiz, made up of ten questions that cover everything from wildlife to culinary topics.
Just Back From: South Africa
Next year’s soccer World Cup will draw an estimated 10 million visitors to South Africa and everywhere you travel, the country is abuzz with anticipation. Cape Town has seen a slew of new restaurant and hotel openings, including big-hitter One & Only, which opened along the V&A Waterfront. Locals and regular visitors also appreciate the importance of escaping the city, whether it’s to wine country, the ultra-scenic Garden Route, or on safari. Good to know for families: some of the best South African game reserves, including Kwandwe Private Game Reserve are located in the malaria-free Eastern Cape and are easy to reach (read: no bush planes). Read about other discoveries in South Africa and find out about a special concert in honor of Nelson Mandela’s foundation in New York this July.
Travelers who want to visit St.-Tropez but dread the annual crowds will love the coast’s newest hideaway: La Réserve Resort & Spa. The sister property to the renowned collection of La Réserve apartments in Paris, the Côte d’Azur newcomer is located in Ramatuelle, in the hillside above St. Tropez, with sweeping views of the sea and sky. The hotel has twenty-three rooms, with a chic mod design scheme, as well as a spa that offers La Mer treatments, but families or friends traveling together should book one of twelve Mediterranean-inspired villas (above). Sleek, calm and just a short drive from St.-Tropez’s restaurants and nightlife, they offer the best of both worlds.
New on Indagare: A destination report on Savannah and an insider dispatch on Bolivia. Plus, a food festival headed by star chef Emeril Lagasse at Hawaii’s Kahala Hotel & Resort, You Asked: Oahu Dining, a member postcard about the Chalet des Troncs, in France’s Haute Savoie region.
Search By Keyword
This incredibly diverse, enormous country at the tip of the...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.