Leading the Way
This week on Indagare: Interview with TOMS Shoes founder Blake Mycoskie; Travel Plans believe it or not, many of the best places are selling out for New Year’s; Dispatches from Spain about Madrid and Andalucia ; Weekend Getaway: Sagamore Resort. Plus, fashion designer Anya Hindmarch on her favorite getaways and an insider report on Athens.
Giving Back: TOMS Shoe
In only three years, shoe company TOMS has become a model of new business philanthropy: for each pair of shoes sold, another is donated to a child in need. TOMS’ interactive, life-changing shoe drops, in such countries as Argentina and South Africa, have become so popular—one is even featured in a recent AT&T commercial—that founder Blake Mycoskie started a sweepstakes where customers can win a spot. “I believe that you can do good by doing well,” says Mycoskie, who spoke to Indagare about his company and why losing the reality show The Amazing Race was the best thing to happen to him.
Travel Planning: Holidays
When it comes to booking holiday travel, things are starting to heat up, despite the weak economy. Our advisory team has already begun helping members figure out their best options, whether it’s advising on a family-friendly resort destination a direct flight from home, or which far-flung locale best fits the bill for adventurers. This year, booking a successful holiday trip involves insider knowledge. Many top destinations still have spots, like some villas at Costa Careyes, never before available, and a newly refurbished boat on the Nile. Read about what you should consider this holiday season.
Just Back From: Dispatch from Spain
Indagare editor Henley Vazquez recently traveled to Madrid and found the Spanish capital buzzing with newcomers, including a cutting-edge restaurant hidden in the basement of an antiques store, a lofty penthouse turned hip nightclub, and a new Herzog & de Meuron-designed cultural space. “Madrid is certainly no longer the sleepy sibling to party girl Barcelona,” reports Vazquez. Indagare member April Paffrath, meanwhile, traveling with her husband and three-year-old daughter, revealed some Spanish gems during a road trip through Andalucia. Finds included a pitch-perfect, family-run restaurant in Seville and a welcoming country house hotel in Ronda, but most of all, she shares lots of advice on traveling through Spain with a young child.
Weekend Getaway: Lake George
When we heard that the Sagamore, a family-friendly resort in the Adirondacks, had undergone a $20 million renovation, we sent Indagare editor Eliza Harris—and her six-year-old son, Andrew—to investigate. After all, the pristine six-million-acre Adirondack Park has long suffered from a dearth of high-end hotels that accept children (as the Lake Placid Lodge and The Point do not). Harris returned with an in-depth report on the property, including which rooms to request, who should not stay here and what activities are best for young visitors.
New on Indagare: An insider report on Athens, and recommended Greece Reading List. Plus, an interview with fashion designer Anya Hindmarch, culinary expert Wendy Lyn on dining off-the-beaten path in Paris; You Asked: Marbella, and a member postcard about an inspiring stay at the Post Ranch Inn, in Big Sur, California.
New Feature: We have also added a “map it” feature, where members can now view hotels, restaurants and shops on Google Maps—look for it next to each address on the site.
Coming soon: Destination Reports on Madrid and Telluride, a dispatch from Montana and Indagare Bests: Top Tents for Glamping.
Search By Keyword
Modern-day Edinburgh, still a hotbed of literary and scientific ingenuity,...
Bordering the Atlantic Ocean and South Africa, Namibia has expansive...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.