Leading the Way
This Week on Indagare:
An update on Antigua’s best resorts, summer travels to Turkey, including new restaurants and boutiques in Istanbul, cutting-edge cuisine in San Francisco, dispatch from Burma. Plus, last chance for on-line souk sales and member questions on Moscow, Vienna and Fiji, plus Paris discoveries.
Just Back From…Antigua
Many people assume that the Caribbean is a no-go zone in the summer, but sun-seekers know that the opposite is true: the resorts offer great deals and while the temperatures are hot, it’s not unpleasant and the water is divine for swimming. A direct-flight from New York and London, Antigua is renowned for some of the region’s most beautiful powdery beaches, and recent resort overhauls have added buzz to an island that now boasts pitch-perfect accommodations whether you’re looking for romance or family time. Indagare editor Eliza Harris returned from Antigua with valuable insights into its beach-front properties, including a secluded hideaway with cottage suites, an acclaimed resort that reopened after a multi-million-dollar renovation, and a special hotel where kids take center-stage. Read her report and find out which resort is right for you.
Family Travels: Turkey
With its wealth of culture, ancient history and stunning land- and seascapes, Turkey continues to be one of our most popular destinations (Indagare founder Melissa Biggs Bradley was there last week with her children). Families especially appreciate the fact that a single trip can include a variety of activities, like boating on a traditional gulet, trekking in Cappadocia, and visiting Istanbul’s treasures while based in a resort-like setting with a pool (key for summer travel). Planning a successful trip that allows cultural immersion hinges on a well-balanced itinerary and insider access. Our editors, trusted guides and on-the-ground operators are constantly seeking new finds, whether it’s the Istanbul restaurant with the best sunset views, the hippest Bosphorus-facing lounge, or the new boutique for sourcing gorgeous Turkish textiles. Contact Indagare for help planning a trip and read Melissa’s Summer News.
City Weekend: San Francisco
It’s telling that when the 2010 James Beard nominees for Best Restaurant Newcomer were announced, three of the six entries were in San Francisco. The city’s culinary scene is thriving, and locals are celebrating recent arrivals and places on the cusp of turning from newcomers to mainstays. Highlights from Indagare editor Simone Girner’s most recent trip included a beloved chef’s return after a four-year absence; a cozy neighborhood spot, where the wait for a table is totally worth it; a sexy Peruvian spot serving up bay views and delectable ceviche; and an Asian-inspired eatery in the city’s coolest new museum, the latter a sure-fire crowd pleaser among young visitors (suffice to say, there’s an aquarium, rain forest and interactive exhibitions). Read what not to miss.
Giving Back: Burma
Indagare member and contributor Tiffany Schauer has traveled extensively in Asia, to such places as the Maldives, Cambodia and the Philippines. Tiffany is passionate about giving back to the communities she encounters, and we’re fortunate that she shares her stories upon her return—or still en route. Her recent adventures took her to Burma, the conflict-ridden country that borders China, Thailand and India. She reports on a special music center headed by a spirited conductor who is working with young musicians on little funds. “The energy and environment of the center is pure love: love of music,” she writes. Read her dispatch, including time spent in Yangon.
Souk: Last Chance: Today is the last day for our virtual trunk show, showcasing such exquisite world finds as embroidered kaftans and hand-crafted jewelry. (Our next pop-up souk will be in Southampton in July.) Shop the virtual souk
Ask & Give Advice: New postings on the Community Boards include questions on favorite hotels in Vienna, shopping in Moscow and St. Petersburg and the best resorts in Fiji. Share your expertise with your fellow members under Ask Advice.
New on Indagare: Member postcards on a romantic getaway to Winvian, a resort in Litchfield, Connecticut and a friend who was stranded by the volcano in Paris shares her new discoveries, including a new Danny Meyer-run restaurant, plus an environmental dispatch about the Maldives.
Search By Keyword
The Spanish capital is buzzing with revamped hotels, authentic restaurants...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.