“[We] ran up the hills where, as you looked down toward the sea, the flooded rice fields lay shining in the sunlight like a broken mirror.” ~ Colin McPhee
Eat, Pray, Love One Woman’s Search for Everything across Italy, India and Indonesia, Elizabeth Gilbert, 2006 — The last third of the book, which covers “Love”, is set in Bali and wonderfully evokes the island and its residents.
A House in Bali, Colin McPhee, 1944 — A Canadian composer and musicologist and “ultra-modernist”, the author became interest in gamelan music, traveled to Bali in the 1930’s and wrote a classic memoir about the island, it’s people and it culture – and captured the “sensory overload” that still characterizes the island today.
Fragrant Rice: A Taste of Passion, Marriage and Food, Janet DeNeefe, 2004 — The Australian author lives with her Balinese husband and four children in Bali where her experience running a restaurant and other businesses inspired this recipe/lifestyle book.
Painted Alphabet, Diana Darling, 1992 — The American sculptor and Bali resident re-imagines a classic local folktale about a Balinese witch as a fantasy novel.
Bali Behind the Seen: Recent Fiction from Bali, Various — A short story collection by contemporary Balinese fiction writers confronting the forces of tourism and modernization in paradise.
A Little Bit of One O’Clock, William Ingram, 1998 — A westerner’s warm, intuitive, witty novel about living with a local family, and their spiritual link to their community and ancestors.
Search By Keyword
Eco safari camps, recommended outfitters, plus an amazing house rental...
To quote the renowned historian Alan Morehead, "Anyone who can...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.