Passion Points: Active/Adventure
The temple-strewn fields of Bagan have a similar effect as seeing the canals of Venice or the pyramids of Egypt for the first time. They make you long for the gift of a poet or the skill of a painter—anything to capture their otherworldliness. This effect is magnified when you’re lofting across the expanse in one of Balloons Over Bagan’s cranberry-colored hot-air confections, which rise at dawn and make the silent journey over temples, stupas and pagodas just as they cast off their misty shrouds and gleam in first light. But truly, they are stupendous at any hour of the day, from above or on the ground, one of the reasons why the ancient royal capital of Bagan, built by Burmese kings of the 11th and 12th centuries, should figure prominently in any traveler’s itinerary to Myanmar.
I recently spent three nights in Bagan, moored on the Road to Mandalay, the comfortable boat run by Orient-Express, which normally cruises up the Irrawaddy River to Mandalay but which lay docked during my visit, due to abnormally low water levels. The...
Search By Keyword
Palace hotels and painted elephants are part of the colorful...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.