Passion Points: Active/Adventure
You asked: We are eight adults and ten kids (ages five to twelve). We want to travel during Christmas week to a very upscale ranch where there is a lot to do. L.B., NY
We’d be happy to connect you with one of our favorite outfitters that specializes in Western vacations and ranch stays. The company offers a consulting service; for $250 it will match you with one of the hundreds of ranches it has vetted in parts of North, Central and South America, from working spreads and dude ranches to family-owned lodges and high-end resorts.
For winter family trips, the founder is a big fan of Lone Mountain Ranch, in Montana, and the Vista Verde and Home ranches, in Colorado, the last of which earned membership in Relais & Châteaux with its fine food. All three offer cross-country skiing and other snow-based activities—even horseback riding through the drifts. If international travel is a possibility, December is a great time to fly to Argentina, where it’s summer and the best estancias provide a historically significant venue for enjoying hiking, fishing, riding and more. If you want to stay in the United States but don’t want to play in the snow, Rancho de la Osa, in Arizona, can be warm or chilly in December but always dishes up great Western activities like cattle drives and roping in a setting elegant enough to have served as the backdrop for fashion ads and films.
Read about a special camping experience on the California coast
Read about a Willdlife Adventure in Yellowstone
For details or special offers on any of these ranches or other lodges, contact our booking department by calling 212-988-2611 or by sending an inquiry
Search By Keyword
With new luxury villas and gorgeous classic resorts, the Turks...
Eco safari camps, recommended outfitters, plus an amazing house rental...
The 4,000-acre resort on Mexico’s Pacific Coast is not a...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.