Passion Points: Active/Adventure
At the end of 2010, we quizzed members, contributors and staff about their favorite discoveries this year. Read more Best-of-2010 Interviews.
Marcella Echavarria, social entrepreneur
What was your favorite trip this year and why?
I loved Swaziland, Southern Africa’s well-kept secret with a rhythm that is deep and serene at the same time. You can’t mistake the sacred energy that surrounds the country. I also returned to the cobblestone streets of Guatemala’s former capital, Antigua, where indigenous, Spanish and Mestizo heritage merge. It is a place where history is on a truly human scale.
What was your favorite hotel/resort (and why)?
Amanfayun in Hangzhou. It beautifully blends the simplicity of Chinese rural tea culture with Aman’s definition of luxury; quality, respect of place and a vital cultural context. I also returned to Posada del Angel in Antigua, the first hotel I covered as a travel writer ten years ago when it was Antigua’s only boutique hotel. Now in 2010 when Antigua has many hotels, this precious gem remains a classic, a place of character and a colonial oasis with the best service ever. They remembered me and what I liked for breakfast!
What was your favorite new travel discovery
I had the privilege of attending the opening of Museo Casa del Alabado, a small museum of pre-Columbian art in the center of Quito, Ecuador. Works are arranged thematically, offering a new and fresh way of looking at the past.
What is one thing you learned while on the road?
That journeys bring more journeys and that places chose you as much as you choose them.
Where are you dying to go next year?
Search By Keyword
As a winter destination, comparisons to other North American ski...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.