Passion Points: Active/Adventure
A member who has traveled to Burma, or Myanmar, recently raved to us about a special Irrawaddy trip on the new Amara River Cruise. She sailed on the stylish wooden riverboat in January and loved the boat and its crew. One of the highlights of traveling on this vessel is that because of its low draft, all-year long it can cruise as far north as Bhamo into a gorgeous and remote part of the country. It’s also possible to travel on the Chindwin River up to Khamti at the foot of the Naga mountains. There are only seven cabins on the ship; each with its own bathroom, and meals are often served on a dining table set up on the riverbank. While the boat is usually available only for private charter, (guests customize their itineraries), occasionally they take individual guests. For those interested in trekking in the Shan mountains around Kalaw, Amara also has a four-bedroom colonial guesthouse. Proceeds from both the cruise and hotel bookings goes directly to non-profits in Burma, including a local orphanage and hospitals.
Read a postcard from a member who recently traveled to Myanmar and found that “few agree that the tourist boycott…is good for the people.”
Share your feelings about whether one should boycott travel to countries with repressive regimes by sending a postcard.
Read more suggestions on Burma on the Ask Advice Boards
Read another postcard on traveling in Myanmar, Vietnam and Cambodia from George Butterfield
Read about bringing water to kids in Cambodia
Read about Amara, a special cruise boat in Myanmar
For travel advice or reservations, including special rates for our members on the Road to Mandalay cruise, contact our booking department by calling 212-988-2611 or by sending an inquiry
Search By Keyword
The largest city in Switzerland has been ranked as having...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.