Passion Points: Active/Adventure
As India welcomes record numbers of tourists, there has been a renaissance of the tented safari, but with a twist. Tented camps are part of the history of India. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, tiger hunts, which were extravagant killing sprees that severely depleted the country’s tiger population, involved silk-lined tents, five-course meals and Champagne in crystal flutes. Shooting tigers was made illegal in 1971, and today’s camps are more permanent affairs, with less bloodthirsty itineraries. They are mainly clustered in the state of Rajasthan, in or near the Great Thar desert, and have similar facilities: king-size beds, running water in en suite bathrooms, old-fashioned writing desks and awnings under which one retires to drink a gin and tonic while watching the flaming orange sun melt into a sand dune. The following five are the best I know: Moolsagar, Chhatra Sagar, Manvar, Rohet Garh, and Sher Bagh.
Read our advice on family travel to India
Read about traveling off the beaten path in India
Read an insider report on Delhi
To help you plan your itinerary, Indagare works with a number of excellent Indian specialists, including the same India-based company that handled Elizabeth Hurley’s wedding extravaganza. If you would like to be introduced to one of our preferred contacts or to see sample itineraries, contact our advisory team by calling 212-988-2611 or send an inquiry
Search By Keyword
An insider's guide to Rio. Plus, learn about a family...
As part of the Trois Vallées, Courchevel in the French...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.