Passion Points: Style
Tucked in a breezy space on the top floor above Yangon’s Monsoon restaurant, Helping Hands Loft (www.helpinghandsyangon.wordpress.com) is a genius fair-trade boutique. It collaborates with NGOs in producing quality gifts, fashion and accessories that give back to the communities that make them. It’s run by a network of volunteers of various backgrounds and nationalities, including ones from Myanmar, Australia, Italy, Brazil, England, Poland, America and Germany.
Ulla Kröbler is a German-born architect who had previously been stationed in Myanmar in 1994 and 1997, thanks to her Dutch husband’s work for the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR). Returning in 2011, she met the motivated group behind Helping Hands and was immediately inspired to get involved. Here she speaks about the shop, its challenges and introducing the idea of fair trade to Myanmar.
Don’t miss the shop during your next visit: Helping Hands Loft.
What is the inspiration behind Helping Hands Loft?
Our aim is to be a marketplace for communities that produce and create products as a way of funding their own initiatives. These can range from...
Search By Keyword
The country's most stunning landscapes and exhilarating outdoor activities center...
Sophisticated living combined with a refreshingly laid-back California attitude in...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.