Passion Points: Style
The Haut Marais is buzzing. Roughly the area between the Musée National Picasso (which is closed for renovation until 2012) and the Place de la République, it’s a perfect place to explore for its galleries, cute one-off boutiques and plenty of funky cafés and restaurants for refueling. It’s off the well-trodden tourist path but in proximity to the city center. Especially travelers with trendy teens who are tired of monumental sight-seeing should not miss a walk through this lovely neighborhood which hopefully will resist the gentrification that has, sadly, befallen some streets of the Marais. Here’s what’s not to miss.
Tip: Many of the independent boutiques are closed on Sunday. It’s best to visit this area on Saturday or during the week.
- Desiree Jacqueline (jewelry)
- Ekjo (fashion/accessories)
- Le Grand Bonton (children’s store)
- Les Fées (home decor)
- Merci (concept store)
- Violette & Leonie (vintage)
BEST SHOPPING STREETS
Rue Vieille du Temple: Along the upper part of this street you will find such shops as Les Petites (no. 98), Vanessa Bruno (no. 100) and A.P.C. (no. 112). En route peek into Yvon Lambert gallery (no. 108) for the latest art show.
Rue de Saintonge: Don’t miss Isabel Marant (no. 47), Dolls (no. 56) and Tigersushi Furs (no. 27)
Rue Charlot: Don’t miss home décor boutique Les Fées.
Rue de Bretagne: Stop by the neighborhood’s classic Marché des Enfants Rouge, Paris’s oldest covered market.
Rue du Poitou: For feminie fashion, stop by Ekjo , conceived by a South Korean designer.
Rue Debelleyme: For a sweet break, stop by Rose Bakery .
BEST CAFES FOR A BREAK
BEST RESTAURANTS FOR LUNCH/DINNER
Search By Keyword
The largest single-mountain ski resort in North America is better...
To quote the renowned historian Alan Morehead, "Anyone who can...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.