Passion Points: Style
What I love most about living in New York are those serendipitous discoveries of places that, once found, become such a part of you that you cannot remember what you did before you knew about them. At a recent work lunch, a young woman approached me with the words: “I adore your dress…there’s someone I think you should meet.” She meant Lucyann Barry, a spunky, Ireland-born fashionista, whose private consignment showroom offers such a stunning range of quality, discounted designer wares that a client recently dubbed it “the magic closet.” Located on the ground floor of an elegant brownstone on New York City’s Upper West Side, the long room features a well-edited collection of artful creations by the likes of Louis, Manolo, Christian and Jean-Paul—somehow, the relaxed, boudoir-like setting makes you feel as if you should be on first-name basis with everyone.
Barry is super-selective about her showroom, focusing on unique designs, haute craftsmanship and tip-top quality. Some items unearthed during a recent visit, like an exquisitely embroidered and bejeweled Ungaro coat and ethereal, layered Prada skirt, still bore their retail price tags ($10,010 and $7,000 respectively). More searching turned up a lime-green cotton DKNY dress, tricked out with a blue tulle petticoat by Patricia Fields (it was worn by Sarah Jessica Parker on a Sex & the City episode and the actress signed it on an inside seam); an elegant floor-length Carolina Herrera gown with a plunging back; a white Monique Lhuillier coat embroidered with pink floral motifs; and a feather-light, hand-knit cardigan with tulle overlay by Dior By Galliano. Mixed in with these big-name designers are more whimsical picks, like a fun, pearl-adorned cocktail dress by Lolita Lempicka and a pair of supermodel-long jeans by Belgian designer Ann Demeulemeester. Barry’s prime passion is vintage Chanel jewelry and her ever-growing collection features some choice pieces from the 1980s, including a multi-piece black leather belt with gold detailing and a Gripoix necklace with poured glass stones.
The best part is that Barry, who has lived in London, Switzerland, Los Angeles and Miami and who also offers a personal shopping service, has an intuitive sense of what will be a flattering fit—and she’s always right. “What I love about fashion is not just the fun of getting dressed up,” she says. “I think it’s a beautiful moment when a client discovers a new style that makes her feel glamorous and confident. Fashion can have a profound impact on the wearer.” A magic closet, indeed.
For showroom hours and to schedule an appointment, email Lucyann Barry at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 646-438-9281.
Read an interview with Lucyann Barry.
Search By Keyword
From super-future cities to remote countryside, China offers an incredible...
The Pacific Northwest has a refreshingly quirky spirit and best...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.