Passion Points: Style
The model-turned-makeup artist (who recently became Jemma Madeleine Mornington, Countess of Mornington ) heads London’s esteemed Jemma Kidd makeup school and is a darling of the British fashion set—fans include Jasper Conran, Philip Treacy, Kate Moss and her polo-playing sister, Jodie (also a former model). She and Jodie are regular faces on Barbados: their mother Wendy Kidd owns Holetown’s Holders Estate, the site of numerous polo matches, cocktail parties as well as the annual performing arts festival, Holders Season. Below, Jemma, whose beauty products are available at Selfridges, Bergdorf Goodman and Neiman Marcus (and at www.jemmakidd.com), reveals her favorite spots on the island.
Favorite restaurants: “ Fish Pot and Lone Star (St. James; 246-419-0599; www.thelonestar.com)”
The Lone Star Hotel’s restaurant, a casual lounge spot by day and more formal eatery at nighttime, is divided between two floors, each dedicated to a different cuisine: upstairs is for Japanese/Thai/Vietnamese while the downstairs serves European and Caribbean specialties like blackened dolphin with sweet potato mash and Caribbean fish pie.
Favorite cafés/bars/lounges: “ Daphne’s, Olives Bar & Bistro (Second Street; 246-432-2112) and Mews (Second Street; 246-432-1122)”
Both Olives Bar & Bistro and Mews are on Holetown’s Second Street, where the old Bajan houses have been transformed into chic lounges and bars.
What to see on a first visit: “Harrison’s Cave“
What to discover on a 15th visit: “The rum shop, Nancy’s Place (Rouen Road near Belle Gully, St. Michael; 246-427-6636)”
The island’s ubiquitous colorful chattel houses serve everything from rum (occasionally dubbed the national drink) and soda to flying fish and curried chicken. Nancy’s Place is in the parrish of St. Michael, along the southwest coast.
Favorite annual events: “Holders Season“
Favorite island activities: “Jet skiing and golf at Sandy Lane ”
Favorite island rituals: “5pm rum punches at Daphne’s ”
Best shopping neighborhoods: “Sunset Crest and Chattel House Village”
The Sunset Crest neighborhood is part of Holetown (or directly beside Holetown depending on whom you ask) while Chattel House Village is a collection of pastel-colored shops—designed to resemble the moveable cottages in which colonial-era plantation workers lived—in the South’s St. Lawrence Gap area.
Favorites shops: “Simon Peter“
Favorite beaches: “Foul Bay, Paynes Bay and Crane”
Both Crane Beach and Foul Bay are on the Atlantic (or eastern) side of the island while Paynes Bay Beach stretches along the Platinum Coast, just north of Holetown.
For you what makes the island so special? “The people, the food and the weather.”
Favorite secret weapons: “For car hire, Johnny Tudor at Warrens Motors (The Auto Dome, St. Michael; 246-417-5000; www.bsandtco.com) who always organizes cars for me. Any my sister Debbie who knows everyone and everything.”
How would you describe your own style? “Elegant casual”
What is your favorite item of clothing? “Paige jeans”
What do you never leave home without? “My handbag”
Where do you dream to travel next? “Seychelles”
Search By Keyword
An insider's guide to Connecticut's most scenic county.
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.