Passion Points: Arts/Culture
This fall the art world will descend on Paris for the 39th installation of the Foire Internationale d’Art Contemporaine (FIAC), which will be held at the Grand Palais, Jardin des Tuileries, and Jardin des Plants from October 18-21.
In addition to the great art for sale at the fair, Paris museums are offering a terrific fall line-up, with something for every taste.
Here are a few not-to-be-missed show.
AMERICANS IN PARIS
Two great American artists will have retrospective shows this fall at the Grand Palais: Edward Hopper (October 10, 2012 – January 28, 2013 ) and Robert Indiana (November 21, 2012 – February 13, 2013)
THE OLD MASTER
The big exhibition at the Louvre this fall will be Raphael in Rome, 1512-1520. Featuring works made by the Renaissance master in Rome during the final years of his life, this exhibition brings together altarpieces, official and personal portraits, and a selection of drawings. (October 11, 2012 to January 7, 2013).
Paris-based contemporary artist Adel Abdessmed is being honored with a survey show at Centre Pompidou (October 3, 2012 – January 7, 2013). Abdessemed, who has shown his typically provocative work—a recent series: life-size razor wire sculptures of Jesus on the Cross (Décor, 2012)—in solo exhibitions at New York’s PS1 (2007), Grenoble’s Le Magasin and MIT’s List Visual Arts Center (both 2008), will surely give Paris something to talk about this fall.
ALWAYS IN FASHION
Before heading to New York (The Met) and Chicago (AIC), the Musée d’Orsay will host an exhibition that is clearly meant to be seen while in Paris: Impressionism and Fashion. It’s being staged by avant garde theater-opera director Robert Carson. (25 September 2012 – 20 January 2013)
Search By Keyword
Like the French Riviera, Turkey’s southwester coast was “discovered” by...
A first-hand account of a wildlife cruise to this unforgettable...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.