Passion Points: Arts/Culture
The first time I visited Paris, I skipped the Louvre. Not because I wasn’t intrigued by the treasures displayed in the more than ten miles of galleries, but because I worried that my three-day trip would not allow enough time to experience the collections. Massive cultural institutions can present a daunting undertaking for a visitor pressed for time. The good news is that art-filled cities also have a wealth of smaller museums whose exhibits can offer amazingly in-depth exploration of specific art periods, genres or artists. The next time you’re in one of the following cities with only a few hours to dedicate to the arts, check out these well-curated gems.
- In Paris: The former private home of one of France’s most celebrated sculptors, where poet and writer Rainer Maria Rilke lived for some years as well.
- In Vienna: The museum to see Wiener Werkstätte, Art Nouveau and Biedermeier in truly creative displays at this
- In Los Angeles: An often-overlooked gem with collections of Asian, European and American art, including tons of Degas paintings and sculptures.
Return to May Travel News.
Search By Keyword
The Thai island’s more glamorous, more grown-up side is quickly...
St Moritz has come roaring back. For an update on...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.