Passion Points: Arts/Culture
Even people who are only peripherally acquainted with the art world have heard of Art Basel, the Frieze, the Armory and the Venice Biennale—behemoth art fairs and shows that last several days and have special exhibitions, exert panel discussions and VIP opening night parties. Art insiders, however, also make sure they attend smaller, lesser-known fairs. Says Maria Bonta de la Pezuela, who oversees several Latin American offices for Sotheby’s of the Sao Paolo Biennale: “Everyone in my field knows it but it has not really gotten the exposure it deserves. It’s been seminal in the development and the careers of so many artists and it has always presented challenging and cutting-edge work.” Here is a list of up-and-coming art fairs, selected by art experts and insiders profiled on Indagare:
- Sao Paolo Biennale and SP Arte, in Sao Paolo, favorites of Sotheby’s Maria Bonta de la Pezuela
- Art Dubai; Pulse, in New York and Miami ; Scope, in London, and the Istanbul Biennale, favorites of Istanbul-based art consultant Isabella Icoz
- ShContemporary, in Shanghai, a favorite of Sotheby’s Xiaoming Zhang
- Sharjah Biennale in the United Arab Emirates, a favorite by Muriel Quancard-Johnson, the founder of Opus Tours
- Art Chicago, a favorite of art consultant Joan Warren-Grady
- Nada, in Miami, Liste and Volta, in Basel, favorites of London gallery owner Anita Zabludowicz
Search By Keyword
The largest single-mountain ski resort in North America is better...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.