Passion Points: Food/Wine
Danny Meyer heads the Union Square Hospitality Group (www.ushgnyc.com), whose roster of restaurants includes Union Square Café, Gramercy Tavern, and Eleven Madison Park. His newest book is called Setting the Table.
FAVORITE HOTEL: The Algonquin (59 West 44th Street; www.algonquinhotel.com) was my first real introduction to NYC and where I took my wife on our first date.
FAVORITE RESTAURANT: Almost any place other than my own.
FAVORITE CAFE: Joe The Art of Coffee (www.joetheartofcoffee.com), which has three locations downtown.
FAVORITE BAR: Milk & Honey (entrance by referral or appointment only; www.mlkhny.com).
FAVORITE SIGHT: Gramercy Park in early spring bloom.
BEST FITNESS CLUB/TRAINER: David Kirsch, who owns the Madison Square Club (210 Fifth Avenue; www.davidkirsch.com).
FAVORITE GALLERY/MUSEUM: The first gallery, which sits opposite Terrace 5, on the fifth floor at the Museum of Modern Art (11 West 53rd Street; www.moma.org).
BEST SHOPPING STREET: Bleecker Street between 7th Avenue South and 6th Avenue—for food shopping, it can’t be beat.
FAVORITE SHOP: Bergdorf Goodman (754 5th Avenue) offers the best combination of selection, service, hospitality, and even food.
FAVORITE OUTDOOR ACTIVITY: Taking my kids to Shake Shack (212-889-6600; www.shakeshacknyc.com) in Madison Square Park.
WHAT NOT TO MISS: Live performances of jazz, theater, comedy, the US Open, playoff baseball. Wherever there is a stage, someone is doing something special in New York.
Search By Keyword
The 25,000-acre beachside fiefdom could only be created by a...
Change comes slowly to this small Bahamian island, and that’s...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.