Passion Points: Food/Wine
Beth Nickel has been based in the Napa Valley since 1976, when she and her husband, Gil, moved to California from Oklahoma. In 1979, they bought a vineyard and restored it; it’s now the acclaimed Far Niente winery. In her more than three decades of living in Napa, Nickel has gathered a long list of favorites.
“I love Cole’s Chop House, which serves the best steak in Napa Valley and Angèle, run by the Rouas family, which also owns the Auberge du Soleil. With its genuine Italian hospitality, Bistro Don Giovanni never fails to please. It’s great for lunch or dinner. Napa isn’t a late-night scene, but Bouchon, in Yountville, is open until 12:30 a.m. It has an incredible wine list and a beautiful fresh-seafood bar. Bouchon Bakery, next door, is a great place to pick up pastries and coffee in the morning. I also love Brix and Redd, headed by our own super-star chef Richard Reddington. Napa icon Cindy Pawlcyn owns three fabulous restaurants. Her first, Mustards...
Search By Keyword
Now that many of its beloved museums and monuments have...
The summer enclave of choice for the Spanish royal family...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.