Passion Points: Giving Back
From Tiffany Schauer, July 1, 2008
“Waking up in Mae Sot. Mae Sot is not a tourist destination. There are virtually no traveler accommodations except for backpacker level guesthouses. Alternatively, I stayed at the Mae Sot hill resort. It is by no means a luxury site, but given the intensity of the living conditions of the people in Mae Sot, I was never so thankful for a bed and a shower. The hotel is a few minutes drive from the center of Mae Sot. The Mae Sot morning market is a must see stop. It is a cornucopia for the senses. It also seems to take up the space of the entire town. You can wake up early as the rooster and be surrounded by merchants, market hucksters, and shopping natives. It is fun. Every regional food imaginable seems to be prepared and available. I bought my fresh spring rolls and supplies for the day before setting out for the refugee camp trip.
The Mae La Burmese Refugee camp is about an hour drive away from Mae Sot. Approaching...
Search By Keyword
Beautiful and not overrun with tourists, this island off the...
The Spanish capital is buzzing with revamped hotels, authentic restaurants...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.